National Nutrition Week: Focusing on the Important Phases of Life
Eating a properly balanced diet is vital for good health and happiness. Food provides our bodies with the energy, vitamins, essential fats, protein and minerals to live, grow and function properly. We need a wide variety of different foods to provide the right amounts of nutrients for good health. Having a healthy diet can also be one of the great cultural pleasures of life. Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. Combined with physical activity, the diet can help one reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce the risk of chronic diseases (like heart disease and cancer), and promotes an overall health. An unhealthy diet increases the risk of many diet-related diseases. The major causes of death, illness and disability in which diet and nutrition play an important role include coronary heart disease, stroke, hypertension, atherosclerosis, obesity, some forms of cancer, Type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, dental caries, gallbladder disease, dementia and nutritional anaemias.
According to the NFHS 4 report,
- The percentage of children under 5 years who are stunted (height-for-age) has been reduced to 38.4% from 48% (earlier survey data – NHFS 3).
- The percentage of children under 5 years who are wasted (weight-for-height) has been increased to 21% from 19.8% (earlier survey data – NHFS 3).
- The percentage of children under 5 years who are underweight (weight-for-age) has been reduced to 35.7% from 42.5% (earlier survey data – NHFS 3).
- The percentage rate of Stunted and Underweight has been improved while the rate of wasted (weight-for-height) doesn’t seem to be on the right track and has not been improved.
The good nutrition has many benefits which include;
- Promotes maternal, infant and child health
- Improves the performance of education at school
- Helps in productivity at school
- Supports stronger immune systems
- Reduces the risk of diseases
- Helps in both health and economic development
At Nidhi Foundation, we believe that every child is equal and should be treated equally, no one knows, when the next big thing will come for whom. We are constantly working hard to focus on many things to make the life of the child better and easier. The growing age is the most important phase of any child. At this age, the proper nutrition, guidance, support, love and care, this is what everyone expects and has the right but not everyone gets this. After studying the scenario, we have stepped out our feet to start offering healthy and tasty mid-day meals to all the children at our centres. Along with this, we focus on many things just to make the life of the children easier than before; the regular health checkups and dietary supplements like multivitamins, iron and calcium supplements and also de-worming tablets to the children who lack the minimum requirement of a balanced diet. Under the program, Mission Nutrition, the children of their ongoing chapters are given a glass of milk on a daily basis.